Regional Finance Officer
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international non-governmental organisation with a mission to accompany, serve, and advocate for the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. The organisation was founded in November 1980 and has a presence in over 45 countries. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support and guidance of an international office in Rome. The style of JRS service is human and spiritual, working in situations of greatest need, seeking the long-term well-being of refugees and displaced people, while not neglecting their immediate or urgent needs.
The Regional Finance Officer is responsible for assisting the Regional Director in the sound financial administration and management of all JRS activities in the Region. He / she is directly accountable to the Regional Director and works as part of the Regional Office Team in close collaboration with the Regional Programs Officer. S/he works with senior management personnel in each office (Country Directors and Country /Project Finance Officers) at the same time liaising with relevant staff in the international office. This position embraces a range of responsibilities from initiating needs assessments to ensuring adequate and ongoing funding, periodic project evaluations and final closure of projects.
Budget and Finance
Key performance Indicators
Qualifications and experience:
· A University degree in accounting, finance, business and administration, or related areas;
· At least five (5) years of professional experience working in an accounting or finance-related role;
· Professional experience in a similar capacity with international, non-profit organizations.
Core values and competencies
· Enthusiasm for the faith-based mission of JRS and willingness to advocate based on the JRS mission and vision.
· Self-direction, creativity, and follow up skills to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met;
· Ability to prioritize and manage tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment;
· Ability to work in a multicultural environment and promote effective teamwork;
· Strong management, analytical and interpersonal skills;
· Good organizational skills and high attention to detail;
· Ability to work with and maintain good relationships with multiple stakeholders;
· Demonstrated experience in working in developing countries is highly desirable;
· Willingness to work and travel to refugee settings in challenging environments.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and one or more internationally-recognized accounting systems;
· Prior experience in accounting, book keeping procedures, account reconciliation and data analysis;
· Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures relating to accounting, financial controls and financial information systems;
· Strong knowledge of laws and regulations that have an impact on financial analysis and management controls.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; professional working knowledge of French or Spanish is highly desirable;
· Good knowledge of Italian will be considered as an asset.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Contract is for 1 year, renewable with an initial probationary period of six months. The JRS remuneration policy is aligned with the JRS ethos to offer effective and professional services and at the same time express solidarity with the people served. The salary is calculated with the use of a post-adjustment multiplier and takes into account years of relevant experience and degree of responsibility of the role. Details will be discussed with short-listed candidates.
All applicants are requested to submit the following documents through the online form:
1) Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English, including three (3) professional references with contact information (phone and email address).
2) A cover letter describing the candidate’s desire and motivation to work for JRS and how her/his qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position.
Only qualified candidates should apply and only those who have been shortlisted will be contacted.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 18 January 2018
Applications received after this date will not be considered.